We’re always a little wary of computer-generated designs for bikes that promise to revolutionise motorcycling as we know it. But the rotary-hybrid from French firm Furion is just impossible to ignore.
Will it ever actually happen? Can Furion solve the emissions, fuel consumption and reliability problems that have always plagued Felix Wankel’s smooth-running rotary engine layout? Does mixing a notoriously fuel-slurping, oil-burning and pollution-belching engine with a hybrid electric motor make any sense at all? All these questions remain to be answered. And until there’s a real, metal version of this bike rather than a mere computer mock-up, there’s no chance they will be.
But set practicality to one side and the idea is tempting. Wankel engines might have their problems, but they make lots of creamy-smooth power from a small capacity. It’s 125hp at 9000rpm from a 654cc dual-rotor in this case. They lack some low-down torque, but that’s where the hybrid element comes in. The 55hp electric motor makes a claimed 100Nm of torque from no revs, while the rotary works its way up to another claimed 105Nm at 6000rpm.
Stick the whole lot together and there’s 180hp and 205Nm of torque. That is plenty. The bike’s claimed to weigh 209kg wet – a surprisingly precise figure for something that only exists on paper – which is pretty reasonable too.
If it happens, this is one that we’ll look forward to hear more about…
- dual-rotor + electric engine 40kw
- capacity : 2×327 (654) cc
- torque : 105 nm at 6000rpm + 100 nm, total : 205 nm
- compression ratio : 10,1 :1
- power : 125hp at 9000rpm + 55 hp, total : 180 hp
- length : 2 095 mm
- seat height : 810 mm
- ground clearance : 140 mm
- rake/trail : 23,5 ° / 101 mm
- wheelbase : 1 435mm
- wet weight : 209 kg
- fuel capacity : 16 liters
- front tyre : 120/70/17
- rear tyre: 190/50/17
- frame: tubular trellis frame, motor carrier.
- fork: inverted 43 mm, adjustable rebound, compression and preload
- rear suspension: monoshock horizontal gas type back-link, adjustable preload and rebound
- front brake: double disc petal 310 mm, 4-piston radial calipers
- rear brake: single disk petal 250 mm, single-piston caliper
- final drive: chain
- clutch: multidisc in oil bath
- transmission: 6-speed